Wednesday 7 March 2012

Shropshire soul cakes

Ingredients:
3 lb plain flour
8 oz softened butter
8 oz sugar
1 oz yeast
2 eggs
1 teaspoon allspice
milk

  1. Sift the flour and work in the slightly softened butter. 
  2. Cream the yeast with a teaspoon of the sugar.
  3. Mix flour with the eggs, yeast and enough milk to make a light dough.
  4. Leave to rise, covered, in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
  5. Work in the sugar and spice and form into flat bun shapes.
  6. Allow to rise for 15 minutes.
  7. Bake at 425ºF, Gas reg 7, for fifteen minutes.
I don't think this is the one we usually do! Sounds more like hot cross buns.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I agree. I seem to remember seeing this and thinking wait a moment that's not the one I'm looking for. But maybe they would be nice. I shall perhaps try them some time!