8 oz fine or medium oatmeal
8 oz wheat flour (or some non-wheat flour)
1 tsp salt
1 x 7g sachet of dried yeast or 1 oz fresh yeast
3/4 pint warm water
3/4 pint warm milk
- Mix the oatmeal and flour together.
- Mix in the dried yeast (or rub in the fresh yeast).
- Gradually add the liquids and make a smooth batter.
- Cover the bowl and leave in a warm place for an hour, or cooler overnight.
- Heat a pancake pan, greasy with bacon fat from frying the bacon.
- Use a ladle to pour in batter and spread to about 9 or 10 inches diameter.
- Flip it over when the bubbles on top burst and the top is set.
- Finished cakes should be soft, not crisp.
- Serve with bacon and the rest of a cooked breakfast, or topped with melted cheese etc.